Day 99 & 100 Surat Bay, Nugget Point, Cannibal Bay

Rain, rain and more rain.  We spent most of Friday hunkered down in the campervan as it was not only raining but the wind was blowing extremely hard.   Late in the afternoon the rain finally stopped and I was able to go for a walk on Surat Beach.  The wind was still blowing and Kathy decided not to go so I ventured out by myself.  The path to the beach was isolated so the wind wasn't too bad but that changed when I reached the beach.  I was with the wind on the way down the beach and it wasn't too bad.  I covered a couple of miles and took a few shots of the beach and the few sea lions that were present before turning around.




Sleeping Sea Lion being slowed buried by sand






Once I had a picture of the big guy I turned and headed back.  That's when it got interesting, it took me twice as long to return to the campsite. At times the wind stopped me dead in my track. Needless to say I was pretty tuckered out by the time I got back.



Saturday was predicted to be a sunny day and much to my surprise the weather man was wrong.  I think he knows the guys back home.  It was raining but not as hard and quite a bit less wind so we ventured out.  I must admit that by the early afternoon the sky did clear up and it got quite nice out.  We only hope it stays this way.

We made a bunch of stops and ended up having quite a nice day.  Our first stop was at Tunnel Mountain which is 246 meters long and was dug entirely by pick, shovel and wheelbarrow. It was started in 1891 and took two years to build.  We stopped at Kaka Point, a small community in the Catlins on the Pacific Ocean.  We climbed up to the lighthouse at Nugget Point, watched the seals and enjoyed the scenery.  Our last stop was Cannibal Bay, named because the first explorers to the area, found human bones in the sand dunes.  We walked the entire beach hoping to run into sea lions which frequent the beach.  We didn't see any but it was a nice walk.

Tunnel Mountain



















Kaka Point







Nugget Point

Lighthouse at  Nugget Point


Nuggets off Nugget Point




Fur Seals


Royal Spoonbills Nesting


Cannibal Bay


You can see either a face or a dolphin on the rock





























Cannibal Bay


Not sure what this is?




It was getting late so we headed back, well once we got by these guys we headed back.




We went back to Surat Bay for the night and after we had dinner we decided to go for a walk on the beach.  It was a nice way to end the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment